Your questions about Create Health appointments, fees and referrals
We know that women and couples have so many questions to ask their specialists about gynaecology, fertility and pregnancy, but there are also lots of general questions about referrals, appointments, fees, private health insurance, hospitals and Medicare that we receive.
Below are some frequently asked questions that our patients often ask us.
If you still have a question please phone us on 03 9873 6767 and we will be happy to help you.
Do I need a referral to make an appointment with a Create Health Specialist?
Yes. A referral from your GP is required in order to claim any Medicare benefits you are entitled to. Your referral can be made out to a specific specialist, or to Create Health.
- We recommend all patients obtain a referral from their GP or specialist prior to their appointment with a Create Health Specialist. If you are the holder of a Medicare card, a referral entitles you to a Medicare rebate on your consultation fee and any subsequent treatment. A referral letter usually contains important information about your treatment, which may save time at the initial consultation.
- A referral from a GP is valid for 12 months from the date of your first appointment, or 3 months if the referral is written by another specialist or consultant physician.
- A referral letter must be used for the first time within 12 months of the date the referral was written.
- A referral covers a single course of treatment for the referred condition so if your condition changes (eg: fertility to obstetric care), a new referral would be required.
- A referral letter is not required to see a member of our Allied Health Team (dietitian, physiotherapist or psychologist). You may however be eligible for a Care Plan or Team Care Arrangement in which Medicare would pay a rebate on the cost of the consultation. We recommend discussing this with your GP.
Do you offer after hours appointments?
Our usual business hours are Monday – Friday between 9am to 5pm with occasional out of usual business hours appointments. Please contact reception on 03 9873 6767 if you require an after hours appointment.
Are my medical records kept private and confidential?
Your medical file is handled with the utmost respect for your privacy. Our staff is bound by strict confidentiality requirements as a condition of employment. The contents of your medical file will not be released without your signed consent.
Fees and Insurance
What is your fee structure and billing policy?
Each specialist sets their own fees. Please call or email us and our friendly reception team can direct you to the specialist’s office for specific information about their fees.
We are not a bulk billing practice and we do request payment at the time of consultation and commencement of fertility cycles. We accept credit cards (Visa and MasterCard), EFTPOS and direct deposit. HICAPS is available for Allied Health consultations.
Pre-payment of the estimated surgery cost is payable one week prior to your procedure. Variations to this billing structure are at our discretion. Please note, additional fees may be incurred when patients are referred to pathology, ultrasound specialists or other health care providers. These fees are separate to our fees and remain the responsibility of the patient.
Due to the wide range of rebates that private health companies provide, Create Health does not routinely participate in No Gap schemes as the rebate amount does not always reflect the extensive training and skills of our Create Health specialists.
How much will my insurance cover?
In general, your private health fund and Medicare will cover a portion of your fees. Please note that there will be an out-of-pocket gap for most consultations and your surgery, and this varies from one procedure to another. For surgery, we will give you a quote for your surgeon’s fees and an estimate of your gap prior to your surgery. Each private insurer provides different cover based on your circumstances and policy. It is your responsibility to ensure your health fund will adequately cover your surgery.
We also recommend you register for the Medicare Safety Net by visiting the Medicare website www.medicareaustralia.gov.au. If you are eligible for the Medicare Safety Net this may provide you with additional rebates for your out-of-pocket costs for out-of-hospital services for the calendar year.